The Strategic Partner mission is to be more competitive through better customer fulfilment.Jon Baxter
What does good look like?
In a Nutshell, Good looks like thinking about the long-term future of how the business grows and how technology helps; and having those discussions earlier and with more senior people.
The goal of Strategic Partnering is achieved when an Information Technology function (we suggest that Digital and Data functions are variations on a theme) has common business goals with another organisation unit such as Sales or Supply Chain.
People who contribute to the discipline of Strategic Partnering agree long term plans with business colleagues, share the responsibility for delivering cutting edge capabilities that deliver what's important to the business. They spend a significant amount of thier time finding new opportunities and focusing on the future direction of the company, yet call to attention and collaborate with people on improving delivery, benefit realisation and existing services.
This goal is best achieved through enabling the five competencies in an organisation: Relationships, Value, Strategy, Portfolio and Organisational Change. Fundamentally Strategic IT Partnering is an attitude, a set of behavioural traits, approaches and techniques that many roles can benefit from.
The Benefits Of Strategic Partnering
Increased competitive advantage
- Planning further ahead helps respond to opportunities and threats sooner, rather than be second place to a competitor.
- Alignment in terms of business outcomes to activities means the right direction.
Higher Return on Investment
- By better planning and decision making, stopping the wrong project or an obsolete service means capital can be deployed elsewhere.
- Through streamlining business capabilities, eliminating IT bottlenecks, technology can be deployed faster meaning more productivity.
Cost Saving & Higher Revenue
- Experimenting and prototyping business ideas and technology solutions informs options on what potential new revenue streams can secure the long term future of the business.
- By measuring value and conducting continuous improvement activities, the organisation makes better use of it's resources.
Where is your organisation?
Are you Reactive, Service or Strategic? Read the symptoms below to find out.
Where would you like to be?
Discover how our Diagnostic and Change Management can improve the maturity of your organisation